Regenerative Ranching Apprenticeship 2021 – Join Our Team!
We are looking for someone with experience in agriculture – livestock (emphasis on cattle), fences, equipment, water systems, etc. who understands the value of hard work and is interested in committing several years to gain experience, education, and contacts for a future in regenerative agriculture. Our ideal candidate is committed to learning as we will provide on-the-job training coupled with off-ranch education (workshops, online courses, conferences, ranch tours etc.) to help candidate build their skills, network, and career.
Duties of the job include, not limited to:
- Manage cattle and other livestock including herding in pastures and corrals; vaccinations and treatments; loading and hauling; feeding; building fences for cattle and grassland management.
- Assist with planned grazing including creating and adjusting grazing plans, collecting and analyzing monitoring data, understanding ecology, managing health of pastures, soils, animals.
- Assist with general ranch management; building and maintaining water systems, fencing, infrastructure; operating and maintaining ATVs, tractors, equipment, and facilities, landscape, and road maintenance.
- Assist with beef sales, prepare & transport meat and work with customers.
- Assist with trials, experiments, and/or research projects.
Skills: Minimum: 2-3 years of livestock handling, moving cattle in pasture or corrals, loading and hauling with gooseneck trailers, intermediate ATV rider in steep terrain, basic skills with farm tools and equipment.
Aptitude: Interest in studying and learning about holistic management and regenerative agriculture. Maintain positive, cooperative relationships, communicate effectively with colleagues.
Attitude: High standards of efficient, ethical, and professional operation for the well-being of the Ranch, staff, facilities, land, animals, and resources.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
We are looking for someone with a combination of experience, training, and skills that may include:
- Education: courses, conferences, or workshops in agriculture, livestock, natural resource management, science or policy, or equivalent.
- Experience: Ranch or farm work, livestock, veterinary care.
- License or Certificate: Class C California Driver’s License in good standing.
Essential duties require the following physical skills and work environment:
Ability to perform ranch-related duties including: 10+hour days (as needed) in winter and summer outdoor conditions; a considerable amount of physical effort in the performance of assigned duties; ability to work around animals, farm tools, electric and barb wire fences and equipment; subject to outdoor working conditions and work safely around hazards associated with ranching, ability to travel to different sites and locations.
DETAILS OF EMPLOYMENT
Compensation and Benefits
- Hourly wage commensurate with experience and education
- Education, classes, and training
- On-site housing
- Full benefits package